It’s hard to believe summer is soon coming to an end. But with Labor Day here and an awesome three months behind us, we want to share a few highlights from Community Bucket’s summer season, and also share what’s coming up this fall.
Let’s start with the highlights from summer:
Summer by the numbers:
- 400 Volunteers that showed up in June, July & August to meet new people and do more good
- 870 Hours of hard (sometimes sweaty) work spent by volunteers to help local nonprofits
- 9 Different days of Service Made Social throughout the summer months
- 1,867 Total Community Bucket volunteers since day 1
- 4,749 Total # of Community Bucket service hours since day 1
The Inaugural Summer Volunteer League: We tested a new format for volunteering. ‘Teams’ of 10 people volunteered 3 times with a single nonprofit, and also attended social events at breweries, local restaurants, and even a Braves game (well, sort of… until the rain interfered…)
Community Bucket + GoKickball: Besides volunteering, what better summertime activity is there than playing kickball in Piedmont Park and hanging out at Midtown’s best bars every Monday night. A team of our own CB volunteers joined together for the Go Kickball season to show Atlanta who can dominate in kickball (apparently not us, unless we’re dominating in fun…)
The Launch of The Giant Jenga: This handmade, community-sourced giant Jenga set is a new Community Bucket staple. A little concentration and some skills required.
Books, Books & More Books: In July, we teamed up with our friends at Books for Africa to pack and sort books (bizarre ones, funny ones and everything in between) in their Smyrna warehouse. This volunteer project is not one to miss.
Pickin’ Blackberries in the Thorns: An adventurous bunch headed to Arabia Mountain for a wild morning of hiking and fighting through thorn bushes to pick the juiciest, most delicious blackberries you’ve ever tasted, then donated the fruit to the Atlanta Community Food Bank.
Turning Two: On August 23rd, we celebrated our two-year anniversary from the first event we ever did. From farming to drinking cold beer at Monday Night Brewing to enjoying some delicious gourmet hot dogs from Doggy Dogg, it definitely felt like the perfect summer day.
What’s on tap for this fall?
- Over the month of September, we’re sending a group of long-time CB volunteers out into Atlanta to explore different neighborhoods and discover new and interesting ways to have fun and make a positive impact on those communities. We’ll be sharing each of their adventures in blog posts throughout the month, so stay tuned for that.
- October is going to be the Month of Good, with events all throughout the month to choose from. Get your fill of Fallunteering and meeting new people with Community Bucket, and have a blast at the same time. More to come on that, so stay tuned for the event line-up…
- As we head into the fall and eventually winter, expect lots of new events and exciting updates from Community Bucket. Year 3 is going to be the best yet!