05 Aug What’s GOOD This August?
Summer may feel almost over, but the do-good opportunities are just getting started!
We’re back with our monthly “What’s GOOD?” series, giving you a rundown of other volunteer opportunities besides our regularly scheduled events. If you’re missing a Community Bucket event this August, or if you just need more volunteering in your life, we’ve got you covered. All you need to do is contact the organization or show up (details for each are included below). You can even invite other CB-ers to go with you, but you don’t need to register through us to attend.
Have an event you’d like to feature next month?
Attend an event and want to share feedback or pictures?
Send an email to Emily@CommunityBucket.com!
Here’s our pick for fun ways to do more good this August:
Historic Oakland Cemetery
- What: A variety of projects maintaining the beautiful gardens of Historic Oakland Cemetery
- When: 8:45 am – Noon, Saturday, August 8
- Where: 248 Oakland Ave SE, Atlanta, GA 30312
- More Info: No special skill is required as there will be experienced Oakland volunteers on hand to guide each project. Please wear weather appropriate clothing and close toed shoes. Bring gardening gloves if you have them.
- Questions: E-mail email@example.com
- What: Park Pride will be hosting volunteers at Mountain Way Common, one of the newest parks in the City of Atlanta park system. Located 80′ below a GA 400 overpass the park is a unique place to explore. Volunteers will be working to improve a new trail head into the park. Projects include trail construction and maintenance, invasive plant removal and trash clean up along the creek.
- When: 9 am – Noon, Saturday, August 8
- Where: Mountain Way Common (4124 North Ivy Rd NE, Atlanta, GA 30342)
- More Info: Please wear weather appropriate clothing and close toed shoes.
- Sign up here.
- What: Your choice of packing meals or delivering meals to clients
- When: Check the calendar for opportunities every day in August.
- Where: 181 Armour Dr NE, Atlanta GA 30324
- More Info: Sign up online here or call 404-872-2707 to volunteer
- What: Building huts for folks who are homeless
- When: 9 am – 1 pm, Sunday, August 23
- Where: Warehouse behind the house at 2175 Worthern Ave #B, Atlanta GA 30311
- Plan Ahead: Wear dirty-able clothes, long pants, and closed-toe shoes
- Learn More: calendar and directions
- Questions: E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- What: Urban gardening with Atlanta’s refugee population
- When: Thursdays and Saturdays at 10 am
- Where: Rotating farms around Atlanta
- Learn More & Sign Up: here
Social Events, & Fundraisers
Cocktails for Camp
- What: Atlanta’s Largest Fundraising and Networking Happy Hour
- When: 7 – 10 pm Thursday, August 13th
- Where: Park Bench (34 Irby Ave NW, Atlanta, GA 30305)
- Details: All proceeds go to Camp Dream, a traditional summer camp experience for moderately to severely disabled children and young adults. Your admission includes free appetizers, fun raffle prizes, and knowing you made great new connections, supported a worthy cause, and had a fantastic time doing it.
- Purchase Tickets: $25 on sale here
- Insider Tip: Use the promo code HELPCAMPDREAM15 to save $5